Saturday, August 20, 2011

Untrue to yourself

It's no secret that life sometimes (all the time) takes you by surprise.
Sometimes it's a Peeves in the ass (no that doesn't really make sense, but it sounds even worse than a pain in the ass, if you ask me...) and other times it's delightful. Annoying, interesting, evil, ironic, funny, whatever. You name it, life can be it!
Life seems to be one of those thing that you cannot define, yet you spend all of it trying to do just that.

The definition of life depends on your....... No, I'm so not gonna go there. Don't worry! (I just saw so many pairs of eyes starting to roll before I'd even finished that sentence!) I'll spare you.

I love the realization of not being who I thought I was. It's one of those things life keeps pulling out of the sleeve. I've heard so many say "Never forget who you are" or "Stay true to yourself and don't let anything change you" and so on and so on. I disagree.
I enjoy discovering that I've changed immensely, that I'm different from x number of years/months/days ago.
And I don't even think it's because of all the self-hatred I've always lived with.
It's more the beauty of getting to see life from yet another different perspective. Getting to indulge in other kinds of passion and experiences. Not having to settle for what life was or has always been. Exploration! Discoveries! Learning and understanding. Feeling new thirsts and trying different ways of quenching them.

It all provides me with fresh yearnings for this thing we call life.

Today's song: Lately - Stevie Wonder (One of my favorite songs and artists ever)

Today's quote: I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. — Edgar Allan Poe

Today's link: Panoramas

Today's shot:
<3


5 comments:

  1. I think generelly when people remark about being true to yourself and not let anything change you. What they really mean, is don't let other peoples requirements change you. I don't think its a matter of not allowing yourself to change, because everyone does that constantly, i mean, you can't really halt evolution right?

    Also, it's a fun think looking back a few years and looking at how stupid or i'll informed one was at that time. Its amazing how much one learns about life and everything constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly!
    But the thing is, I've actually gotten negative remarks about me having changed.
    But I guess that could be because people might assume that I've changed "for others", for some reason.
    But I've just always been very bothered by comments like "this isn't you". When I'm standing there thinking "well maybe this is who I'm turning in to!"...
    And also, I guess, sometimes it's true that I change because of others. I mean, it's always somehow (more or less) indirectly because of others... If it wasn't for everyone else, I'd never realize much about myself.
    Overall I think I just (as always...) don't like this whole "placing in boxes" thing, you know?
    I don't want to define "me" as anything other than, well, me...

    And oh yes!! My "past selfs" were so unbelievably ignorant, it hurts! :-D
    I hate to think about the fact that just years from now I'll probably looking back at my current self, thinking "what an idiot!!"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, when you change you inevitably become somewhat incompatible with people you previously we're very compatible with. I think thats what fuels the negativity. I sorta think one just has to get over that, as in my eyes its inevitable. Also, it's important to consider that the people making the remarks probably doesn't do it of ill will, in fact they might be afraid that they are loosing you somewhat, and are reacting to that. C'est la vie

    And yeah, change can happen because of others, i agree, it might even be the catalyst most of the time, but i don't think everyone else can force you to change, it has to come from you in some form. I don't think it can happen otherwise, so not much need to worry about it i believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once heard that every person changes in some way every 7 or 8 years. I was tempted to agree it's true, but I think in my experience I just had a lot of milestone moments. It's never drastic but you see it clearly that this and this event made you think in a totally different way.
    You know how in childhood you have this image of yourself, which probably evolves throughout the years. Maybe those changes are to bring us closer to this imagination? I notice with pleasure that now I'm thinking more reality than imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm feeling the same way... A long time ago, I used to seriously think I would be the next Britney Spears (and also marry Nick Carter...) I believe (and hope) that my current self-image is more realistic...

    ReplyDelete