Saturday, August 27, 2011

After all, I'm just a Hufflepuff

In my tiny personal world, these are the Pottermore times.
And no, I cannot (or will not try to) explain what Pottermore is. You have to try it. I can only say that I love it. Jo really is brilliant.

Obviously there is a lot of talk about it all (in this tiny world of mine) and the sorting ceremony especially!
The sorting hat put me in Hufflepuff just as I always have done myself, but many others have been placed in a "wrong" house. Meaning, not the house they've always felt they belonged to.
All this has brought sorting and houses back on the discussion table, and I'm basically just going to copy-paste my entries from two such discussions.

First, the lovely and awesome Cate posted this video about the whole concept of having to be sorted into one house, and how it is never easy to define personalities. Here is my comment:

First of all, I totally agree that we, of course, cannot be sorted into specific categories/houses/types/whatev­er.
But I don't see the Hogwarts houses as a problem. It's clear that Harry could easily have been in Slytherin. Snape turns out to be acting out of love, and Harry describes him as the bravest wizard he ever knew... Braver than any Gryffindor!
Just like It's obvious that Hermione has many of the same qualities as the Ravenclaws are known for.
I don't think the house defines anything...
I do, however, think that the houses can make us think about ourselves and our qualities. And perhaps it can help us find the things we would like to bring out more... And maybe discover new things.
Like when we categorize books. It's not just the books in the Romance section that have romance as part of the story...
Know what I mean??


And then, awesome Lidewij posted this about the Pottermore sorting. She talks about how you yourself are more qualified for sorting you than any online quiz. Even an online quiz that Jo has made...
I commented on why I have always felt like a Hufflepuff:

It could be argued that I'd be a Ravenclaw. And sometimes I do feel like one. But "in the end/deep down/whatever you want to call it", the things that matter most to me is equality and fairness. That's why I've always said Hufflepuff. Especially since the sorting hat takes your choice into consideration. I find the Hufflepuff side of me more valuable than the Ravenclaw.
I think knowledge is EXTREMELY important. But I cannot stand when people feel "better" 'cause they have knowledge. We're equal!
Though, let me just point out that I don't mean it like a "so Hufflepuff is better than Ravenclaw"-thing.
It's a completely personal thing... That, for me, how we see and how we treat each other and ourselves is the most important thing. First priority!! How we prioritize is so very individual.

So yes, I basically just wanted to share it because these discussions are all over the place. Feel very free to comment on it and add to it and so on!
(You know I love the Potter things!)

Today's quote: Well, there's some value to taking the multivitamins, but the human body can only absorb so much, so what you're buying here are the ingredients for very expensive urine. - Sheldon Cooper


Today's link: Help for Africa (Danish site)

Today's shot:
 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for my welcome e-mail so I can enjoy Pottermore as well and get sorted. I really like your analogy about the books. That pretty much sums up my feelings about the sorting. And congrats on getting into Hufflepuff. I'm guessing I'll either be there or Ravenclaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, maybe I'll se you and the Hufflepuff common room then ;-)
    Make sure you give me your username!
    I am really loving all of Pottermore... Some of the new stuff from Jo - AMAZING!
    My favorite so far is what she wrote about McGonagalls past!

    ReplyDelete