Saturday, September 15, 2012

One Too Many Times

Okay. I have no problem with people being religious. I think we're all entitled to put our faith in whatever we want - be it ourselves, each other, fireflies, or some deity. I believe that J.K. Rowling is a hero, and it's fine with me that some people don't believe that to be true.
However, something that does bother me - quite a lot - is when people use horrible, invalid arguments to try and "prove" some religion.
I prefer to keep away from online debates about religion and atheism and so on, because they won't get anyone anywhere (for a number of reasons). But sometimes the annoyance builds up and I need to let it out.

An argument I've heard one too many times is this:
"There must be a creator because The Big Bang cannot have arisen from absolutely nothing"

First of all, we don't "know" that there was nothing before the big bang. Obviously there are many things about the Big Bang theory (those words will always sound different now) that can't easily be tested, and I don't find it surprising that there's a lot we don't know about this.

Second, even if the entire theory turned out to be completely wrong and we had absolutely no idea how anything started, it still wouldn't  make a "God" the best explanation.

Lastly, if your logic is that it's impossible for something to arise from nothing; that there must be a creator... Then who created God??



Okay, I just needed to get that out. I might have to write more "One Too Many Times" posts in the future, when I hear some of the good old invalid arguments.


No comments:

Post a Comment