Sunday, January 9, 2011

To be Horrible

Hello, my name is Nicole, and I am a horrible salesman.
Or saleswoman, I guess.

So no, the spot behind the counter probably isn't the optimal place to put me. But hey, most jobs don't grow on trees now do they?..

However, it does not really bother me that I'm no good at it. I think the whole idea of persuading someone to buy something they probably don't need, for the sole purpose of making money, is insolent.
Though I guess I cannot really say that I would feel the same way if I was trying to make money for myself. I hope I would.
I am happy to guide and inform costumers if they need help. I myself take great care in choosing which products to buy. Basing well-considered decisions on proper information.
 - Again because I dislike the concept of misleading people in order to make money. Or misleading people in general.
I've heard people argue that if one is able to deceive someone then hey, that someone is outsmarted, and both get what they deserve.
I disagree. To me that's not cool. I think it's okay to hate the player as well as the game, when the player is the one creating the game!

So, because I have this view on sales, there is something that always bothers me when I'm at work.
The idea that you should have certain rights because you are a customer.
In my mind the customer is not always right!
I mean... I get that in the world of sales, the customer is more likely to come back if you just smile and nod in response to whatever crap they might be throwing at you, I totally get that.
But I cannot help but feel like I am feeding a false perception which ought not to be fed!
In my (admittedly perhaps pretty strange) mind, we all have equal rights - also in sales situations.
I can  make you an offer, and you can take it or walk away. (Or we can negotiate....)
And you can have specific standards or requirements, and I may or may not be able to fulfill these. (Or I can make adjustments if I want...)
But I don't understand this idea of customers' special rights, and I am appalled when customers come into the shop and demand certain things.
To me it would make much more sense to consider our products and prices - and buy it if it seems fair.
Usually you can't have everything. Are low prices more important for you? Or is it the quality? Or the service? Consider... decide.
If you don't like what we offer, then go somewhere else!! (Or at least just suggest something else - don't demand it... And don't be offended if we don't do things your way.)
Oh, and next time - don't be rude! I am worth no less than you.

And this people... is why I am a horrible salesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment