Thursday, October 21, 2010

J. K. Rowling in Odense, Denmark

Tuesday was the day... THE day! I got to see my biggest hero in real life. There she was. Just standing right there in front of me...
Strange experience really. I honestly didn't think it would matter that much to me. 
I mean, I've been looking forward to it soo much for sure, but I think I just figured that 
seeing her or not seeing her wouldn't really change anything. Her giant impact on my life is a fact either way... And right, it didn't change that fact at all, obviously - but the experience 
definitely touched me. Way deeper than I had expected!
So I want to write just a little bit about the day - just to make sure I don't
forget. 
 
First off, I had to get up at a quarter to shit in the morning. Because the cheapest train 
tickets was for freakin 5 a.m.! But they sure were very cheap.
So, off I went. On my bike. At 4:30 in the morning. And, naturally, it was raining. 
Dark, cold, and wet!
After having found my seat on the train I was joined by a young Danish girl and her German friend (both studying at Copenhagen Business School) and both of them were extremely 
chatty and loud for 5 a.m. if you ask me. I quickly got tired of listening to their (everything 
but interesting) stories about the weekend's parties and drunkenness, so I went to sleep!
I arrived at Odense Station (a very nice station, might I add) before the shops and stuff 
opened, except for a coffee shop and a bakery.
 
And now this story is slowing down and getting boring, so let us skip ahead to 10 a.m. inside Odense Koncerthus after having stood in the cold for too long like this:
 
 
... My seat was in the third row (the two rows in front of me were, apparently, for the VIPs) and all the way to the left (when facing the stage). After having waited for just about forever, the people of the day finally arrived. 
First we had to stand up (which I did, feeling pretty stupid, but oh well) because the Danish Princess Marie came in first. 
Then we sat down, and a minute later we got up again (this time I did not mind!) 
J. K. Rowling had arrived. She stopped right as she entered the room, and she was literally 
standing like three steps away from me. Just looking at all of us, mouthing "thank you" 
and "hello". I was in some kind of chock... She looked so real! I guess, probably because 
she was.
 
The ceremony was pretty good. I was a bit embarrassed by the horrible attempt at English 
from some of the Danish speakers, and I still, honestly, do not get why that Princess had to 
hand her the award, but I teared up when Jo spoke. And it was a pretty awesome speech.
(I'll put a link to the video at the bottom of the post.)
And the music - played by the Odense Symphony Orchestra - was really good too.
 
After the ceremony there was, again, some waiting forever and walking around the nice town (I had never been there before). And then, the red carpet was rolled out in front of the City Hall and we were all ready with our books and pens, eager to get an autograph.
While we waited, we could enjoy the (sorry, but really not that awesome) young band playing there and also the very awesome church bells playing Hedwig's Theme!
 
 
Jo took her time signing books out there. You could tell how she really wanted to give everyone an autograph, and she was very efficient (!), but still some were left behind disappointed.
Though not me!! :D
 
   
Since she then went inside the City Hall to do an event for young children only (yes there 
was an age limit), a bunch of us "old" fans figured she had to get out again - and probably not through the main entrance - so we waited at a back entrance for a looong time. 
Some gave up. The rest of us hung in there. And we did get a very short glimpse of her, 
as can be seen right here:
 

 
After spending a few more hours in Odense I was tired, I had a headache, I was hungry, and I was ready to go home!
On the way home I had the pleasure of sitting across from the most adoring couple ever.
What a joy!
 
It was a really long day, but oh what a day!
 
Speech:
http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article/id/34363802/
 




 

1 comment: