Sunday, April 3, 2011

Conflicts

I'm wondering why I usually get along with people in my life, even though I'm uncomfortable around human beings in general and have a hard time coping with social situations.
Basically I'm always torn between two sides of myself (well a lot more than two, really, but this is just an explanatory model of me, so simplification is okay), the side that finds humans, their bodies, their personality and everything this entails extremely fascinating, and wants to investigate all this - and then the side that finds humans absolutely terrifying and wants to do nothing but hide from everyone.

If only I had an invisibility cloak!

So it's a bit odd that I tend to get along with most people ("most people" probably referring to quite a few less people than when others state this, the people avoidance tendency taken into account), and with people who seem completely unable to get along with each other.
But I think this, as most of my actions and qualities, can be attributed to my ever so persisting fears.
I usually avoid conflicts completely, I'm absolutely terrified of them. I hate causing problems, I hate being in the way, I hate discovering that I did something "wrong", and I hate disappointing others or not living up to their standards. Every inch of me fears this.
And it goes very well with my general beliefs about wrong and right (that they are defined by us) and about conflicts between people (that they are normally caused by misunderstandings, miscommunication, or basic incommensurability between the people's world perspectives). Again, it's always about relativity.

Therefore, I find conflicts and confrontations extremely uncomfortable and essentially pointless - so I prefer to avoid them.
But, Merlin knows, this is gonna keep setting me back again and again, and only reinforce my fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment