Monday, May 23, 2011

Maladaptive Change

I've recently realized something about myself...
Obviously, my social skills are, well, a bit limited. There is nothing new or surprising about that, but I've noticed something that I haven't given much thought before.
Everything I've "learned" about handling social situations, goes right out the window as soon as there is more than one person to interact with. I was aware that large groups of people generally are too much for me, but actually it seems the problems arise as soon as I have to handle more than one person.
I find this very interesting. If I'm with two friends at the same time, I change. And not just in the way you normally change depending on the people you're with. I see those changes as a natural adaptions to the environment. This is different. I really feel like I change "too much", i.e. I change in an unnatural way. It's not an adaption at all... It's actually more of a maladaptive change.
And I don't know why it's like this. It feels like it just takes so much energy for me to cope with one person alone, that coping with two people at once - it's just too much to handle. So I back out. I withdraw. I try to hide.
And so, I can't really be "myself".

I'm just wondering why this is.... I really have no Idea. I wonder if a psychologist would say that it can be attributed to the fact that I only had one parent as a child? Usually, that seems to be the explanation most psychologists prefer - for all of my problems! - so I wouldn't be surprised...


I'm too tired for links and stuff for today...
Let's say,
Song: London Skies - Jamie Cullum
Quote: Your focus determines your reality - Qui-Gon Jinn  

2 comments:

  1. I'm catching up on your blogs because i had gotten behind- i love all your various thoughts on things. I feel like i change all the time depending on who i'm with- which often bugs me.

    and now you're inspiring me to listen to london skies because it's been a while; when i took beginning acting we had to write a scene using a song as inspiration, and this is the song my group used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I change as well around different people... But I'm okay with it as long as I feel I'm stil "me"... If that makes sense...

    Cool about the song as inspiration! Music must be like one of the most inspirational things in the world!

    ReplyDelete